Fort Worth’s Ethics Get Slapped
A nonprofit, nonpartisan Florida-based organization that provides advice on local government ethics matters has recently issued a two-part article referencing Fort Worth — and not in a good way.
Robert Wechsler, research director for City Ethics Inc., wrote in Part I about conflicts of task force members and in Part II uses Fort Worth as an example of how poorly some city officials deal with the issue.
The top 5 mistakes committed by Fort Worth officials during a recent appealed ethics violation, according to Wechsler:
1. Overturning the ethics review committee’s ruling;
2. Doing it at a special meeting;
3. Replacing the ethics committee members who made an unpopular ruling;
4. Changing the city’s policy to allow the ethically-challenged situations to continue;
5. Letting the city attorney compete with the ethics panel on ethics advice.