Local post-punk rockers deliver a master class in controlled chaos on their new, eponymous album.
The five guys in Red Monroe think of themselves primarily as a live act — they say that onstage is where their bombastic post-punk has room to breathe. But their studio work sure hasn’t suffered.
I love hipsters, I really do. I know I make fun of ‘em a lot, saying they’re too cool for school, that they’re way too predictable, and that they’re really just grown-up mama’s boys.
No reason to describe this one in faux-poetic terms or edu-ma-cational journalism. The Burden Brothers’ new album Mercy rocks your backside about 75 percent of the time. As for that remaining 25 percent, you’ll be wondering...
The Damnwells have come a long way since recording their debut c.d., the stripped-down Bastards of the Beat, in a mini-storage unit in Manhattan. They produced their new album, Air Stereo, in a real studio, and it’s so clutte...
The very concept is a bit jarring: Take one of the most socially conscious, independent, folk-jazz, whatever-style-she-wanted-to-sing artists from the 1960s. Ask some of today’s top DJ’s, producers, and new voices to remix ...
Multitalented artist Will Oldham has kept busy over the past couple of years.
Any band that opens an album with a minute-long instrumental prelude of squiggling, squealing synth guitar lines — and calls it “Mouthful of Skeletons” to boot — is either A) dangerously smitten with Radiohead, or B) to...
Maybe Doug Sahm never became a household name because he wasn’t an easy-to-categorize, one-note musician.
Sunday Drive’s Needle/Eye has a solid, guitar-based indie rock vibe, but the Dallas band’s third studio album does generic indie one better by being inventive on the skins. The disc chugs along quickly, with lots of snare d...
Fort Worth’s James Michael Taylor goes and tells it on Slaughter Mountain.
In James Michael Taylor’s new album, Slaughter Mountain, the singer-songwriter persuades us to walk a country mile — and then some — in his scuffed work boots; through coal mines, rivers, and cotton fields; alongside ghos...