1) The Pixies and Weezer play Starplex (3839 S Fitzhugh, Dallas) tonight (Wednesday). Surely lawn seats are available. Does this mean the Boiled Owl will be empty? Because I feel like I hear Weezer and the Pixies played on the jukebox about 70 times per shift, and by that logic, one might think those bands had a lot of fans who come to that bar. British rock band The Wombats open the show, which starts at 7:30pm. It’s all-ages, and tickets start at $25 + service fees. Did you know the drummer for the Wombats is named Dan Haggis? Is that a joke? Also, Weezer really has its pulse on things. Here they are covering “Africa” on Kimmel from a couple weeks ago:
2) Also on Wednesday: Ansley Dougherty is the music act at an event at MASS (1002 S Main) called Babes From the Block: Funky Town Warriors. Babes From the Block is a series of talks from Fort Worth women designed to inspire and empower women; Kaitlin Elizabeth will be telling her courageous story of overcoming trauma and loss, and then Ansley will take the stage. Doors are at 7, the event is 18+, and it’s free. Here’s an Ansley tune played with her other band, Frank y Los Frijoles:
3) I think there’s a Thursday night show at MASS (1002 S Main), and if so, it features Mean Motor Scooter, Sunbuzzed, and Model Zero. File under hard rock played with Fenders, Denton psych rock, and Memphis punk. If this thing is still on, doors are at 8, show starts at 9, show is 18+, cover is an amount of money between $5 and $10. Mean Motor Scooter has a new video out for a surfy tune called “Sea Serpent”:
4) DJ Databass is spinning at Off the Record (715 W Magnolia). Classic hip hop, gangsta rap, ’70s funk, probably even some reggae will happen. No cover, 21+.
5) Dallas folk/funny banter duo the O’s are playing a free show at Levitt Pavillion (100 W Abrams, Arlington) in downtown Arlingfun Friday night. The show is free, all-ages, and starts at 8pm. Here’s the official video for the O’s “Go Slow”:
FULL DISCLOSURE/WRITER BIO ALERT: per editorial suggestion, in addition to writing about music and other shit for the FW Weekly, I am an investor in a venue/bar called Main at Southside, colloquially known as MASS. I also bartend at the Boiled Owl Tavern, a bar that also hosts shows a few times a month, as well as Off the Record, which is a bar/record store that hosts DJs several nights a week. Since I’m on the subject of warning you against what may be perceived as icky self-promotion and/or conflicts of interest, I play bass in the following bands: Son of Stan and Darth Vato.